Wednesday, June 30, 2010

no self-reproach

I am often hard on myself when I fail. When something does not go as planned, when I let someone down, or when I do not do as well at something as I know I could have I get down on myself. But after I get over the hill of self-pity, I look upward and ask for God's truth. Never does the Lord fail at giving me some sense of comfort. And not just any comfort, but the comfort I need given the circumstance. I often feel the Lord telling me, "Don't get caught up in your failures, get caught up in My Presence. You always make Me proud."

Here are some words of encouragement for times of disappointment. Do not carry the burden of your failures. Proceed in faith. Advance the Kingdom. Do not glance back at what has been due to past choices but look forward at what will be as a result of the choices you make now. The clouds will clear and the way will be illuminated before you.

Think of the times Jesus forgave a person. Jesus had no words of reproach. The woman at the well was not overwhelmed by Jesus' words, "You have had five husbands, and the man you are living with now is not your husband." The woman caught in adultery was told, "Neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more." Neither was told, "Bear the burden of the consciousness of your sin." Satan would have us look down, be defeated, and dwell on our failures. Jesus tells us to look up, walk victoriously in Christ, and dwell on God's grace.

Remember Paul's words: "But now faith, hope, love, abide these three." Faith is our attitude towards Jesus. Love is our attitude towards others. But Hope is our attitude towards ourselves. Hope of a brighter future. Hope of healing. Hope of strength to make good choices today, and hope that those choices result in glorious things tomorrow.

There is no room for self-reproach when we are full of faith, hope and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment